4/12/2010

Insert "The Eye of the Tiger" song in your head here.

I never had any intentions of being a co-sleeping family.  Never, ever.  Nope, not me.  No way, no how.  I didn’t eeeeeeven want to go there. Then when Christopher was around 7 or 8 weeks old, he got a horrible head cold, and propping him up on my arm to sleep was just the best way for any of us to get any rest….aaaaaaaaaaand now a year later, he’s still in mama and daddy’s bed.

I’ve been threatening to oust him for months now…and every time I bring it up, David glares at me as though I’m suggesting that we tar and feather the poor boy and leave him on display for all the neighbors.  Who knew that in preparing to start sleep-training Christopher, that I would first have to sleep-train his father?! 

Yesterday, I decided to try something new at naptime.  I *gasp* laid Christopher down in his crib while before he was actually asleep.  Yes, it took about an HOUR before he was actually asleep, but I felt so accomplished.  He cried, he walked around the crib, he laughed, he talked, he laid down for about 5 second spurts, then he was up again…until finally I just picked him up and rocked him.  It took all of 30 seconds for him to close his eyes, and as soon as he did, back down to the crib he went!  He protested for a few seconds, then it was lights out!  Whew.

I recapped this story for David and his response, through squinted eyes and pursed lips?  “HE’S JUST A BA-BY!” haha Oh heavens, this is going to be interesting.  Wish us, er ME, luck on reclaiming my bed.  Hell, I may just set up a cot for David in Christopher’s room and be done with the whole thing.  Easy peasy, right?  Either way, my knuckles are cracked, my sweat-bands are on, and I'm bustin out the leg-warmers, Olivia Newton-John style.  Let the sleep-training begin!


1 comment:

Michelle Shults said...

I think there are lots of closeted co-sleepers out there. I have no advice. I have 2 in my bed. Good luck!!